The kaoshikii dance is excellent before and after yoga postures. This dance has tremendous positive effects. It is a dance for both males and females.
Kaoshikii is a dance which was invented in 1978 by Shrii Shrii Anandamurti. It is a psycho-spiritual exercise and benefits the mind by developing stamina and strength of mind. Physically, also, kaoshikii is especially good for women. It can ward off and cure a number of diseases, keeps the body youthful and enables an easy delivery in childbirth.
Kaoshikii comes from the Sanskrit word ‘kosa’ meaning shell or layer of mind. The self of the individual lies hidden in the innermost layers of existence (kosas). Thus kaoshikii is a blossoming of the microcosm (unit being) in its attempt to attain a link with the Macrocosm (Cosmic Consciousness). This attempt is normally referred to as mysticism.
Steps and Meaning of Different Mudras in the Kaoshikii Dance
- The two hands when upraised and folded together represent: “Now l am establishing a link with Parama Purus’a (Supreme Consciousness).”
- Both hands bending to the right indicate: “I know the right way to request You”.
- The bending of the body should be at a 45° angular projection.
- The leftward movement represents: “I know how to fulfill your demands.”
- The movement of bending in front suggests complete surrender.
- The backward movement represents: “I am ready to face all obstacles that may come.”
- The last two steps represent: “O Lord, I repeat your rhythm.”
Benefits of Kaoshikii
- It exercises all the glands and limbs from head to foot.
- It increases longevity.
- It makes for easy delivery.
- The spine will become flexible.
- Arthritis of the spine, neck, waist and other joints will be removed.
- Gout in the spine, neck, hands, and waist will be lost.
- The mind becomes strong and sharp.
- Irregularities in menstruation will be cured.
- Glandular secretions will become regulated.
- Troubles in the bladder and urethra will be cured.
- It gives control over the limbs.
- It adds charm and shines to the face and skin.
- It removes wrinkles.
- It removes lethargy.
- It cures insomnia.
- It cures hysteria.
- Fear complexes will be removed.
- Hopelessness will be lost.
- It helps in self-expression and develops one’s potentiality.
- Spinal pain, piles, hernia, hydrocele in men, nervous pain, and nervous disability will be cured.
- It cures kidney and gall bladder troubles, gastric trouble, dyspepsia, acidity, dysentery, syphilis, gonorrhoea, obesity, thinness, and liver diseases.
- It increases the capacity to work until 75-80 years of age.
Tandava was introduced by the great yogi, Shiva. It is a vigorous dance for men with physico-psychospiritual benefits. Women should not do it because it is not physically suited for them and stimulates male hormones, e.g., related to the growth of facial hair. Tandava combines the subtle aspects of spirituality and vitality. Courage, fearlessness, and willpower are its benefits. Tandava also exercises the brain physically and improves memory.